Other than coffee buns, cream cheese bread is always all-time-favourite at home. Sharing the cream cheese bread recipe below and hope that everyone will like it.
You may purchase the Philadelphia block cream cheese from NTUC or Cold Storage or Tatura cream cheese from Phoon Huat at a much affordable price. Whenever I conduct a baking class and if time permits, I will travel to Phoon Huat and do my therapeutic shopping. The secret to appetising cream cheese is to lightly season it with some lemon juice or vinegar.
Next, more importantly, is to knead the dough correctly during the initial stage. Follow the steps closely and you should be able to knead sufficiently, regardless of the machine you are using. I understand many have trouble kneading the dough to the correct consistency. Hence, if you are not familiar with your kitchen machine, always keep a record of time and speed you use and monitor the gluten development. With better preparation, you should be able to shorten your learning curve and make lesser mistakes during the entire process of bread making.
Here’s the recipe:
Cream Cheese Bread Recipe
390g bread flour
6.5g instant yeast
Cream cheese filling
188g cream cheese, soften
75g icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
3 slices of cheese
Sprinkles of fine sugar
- In a kitchen machine, with the dough hook attachment, knead until the dough ingredients (except butter and salt) until well combined.
- Then, add butter and salt and knead until the dough passes window pane stage (smooth and elastic). View how to achieve window pane stage here.
- Cover the dough and proof for about 50 minutes or until double in size.
- In a medium bowl, using a balloon whisk, mix all cream cheese filling ingredients until just well combined. Refrigerate until firm.
- Knock down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Pre-shape the dough and wrap each dough with about 22g of filling. Seal and final shape.
- Place onto a baking tray and proof for about 50 minutes. Glaze with egg, place 1/4 piece of slice cheese on each dough and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 170°C for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown.
The above recipe can be baked either in a baking case or without a baking case. The flattened version of cream cheese bread is usually spotted at a local bakery and are baked in between two trays to give the nice brown top and bottom. Most of the time, you will also see some cranberries added to the dough.
I personally prefer to bake in a case as it looks more appealing with the topping. It may also more tricky to judge the doneness when you can’t really see when you are baking the flat version.
Anyway, hope you will try out this cream cheese bread recipe soon. All the best and happy baking!